Four young fellows ranging in age from 15 to 16, Jim Shudel, Bob Rieker, Paul Patrick, and Jim Chamberlin started to hand around the Walbridge Park area and became interested in sailing. The next year, they wanted to enter a race at Put-in-Bay but were turned down because they were not affiliated with a boat club. They inquired at Maumee River Yacht Club, but at first were told that they had to be members to enter under their name. Then Nor Turner, who had befriended them, gave them a membership card so they could enter the race. So, with their two 12' Nipper sailboats and a membership card from MRYC, they entered their 1st race at Put-in-Bay, and one of the boats, skippered by Jim Shudel, named the "AMOEBA" (for a small single cell organism) came in 2nd. This was to be the flag ship' of the Toledo Sailing Club.
They formally formed the Toledo Sailing Club in 1942 and met in the building known as Winzenreid's, (Ott's or Weis'). The list of "Founders" follows: Jim Chamberlin, Charles Dyson, Richard Patrick, Bob Rieker, Jim Shudel, Howard Schutt, Ed Winzenried, and Howard Winzenried.
The Constitution, By-laws and House Rules were written and approved effective January 1, 1943. Four of the original members of TSC went into military service this year for World War II. Bob Rieker came back into the club when he returned, and is still a member. The club went from sailing Nippers to Lightenings, Star Boats, Interlakes, and Rebels. Jim Shudel designed the first TSC Burgee. TSC was taken into I-LYA at a meeting and dinner held at the Hotel Hollenden on April 3, 1943.
The first clubhouse was built during the 1945-1950 period. This was done entirely by the hands of members. Fred Doriot and his brother John, put in the club's first heating system. Also, the first power boats were allowed in the club, owned by then Commodore Bethel Moore and John Moran.
The first full fledged woman member, Alma Cameron came aboard and application for a liquor license began in the 19512-1955 time frame.
The first bar room was completed with all work being done by members of TSC, under the watchful eyes of Duane Nagel and Joe Schmuhl. Joe and Dick miller constructed the brick columns on both sides of the bar. The windows for this bar room were installed by Fred Doriot. After much communication, the liquor license was obtained. Building additions included the restrooms, furnace room, coat closet, the room behind the cooler and the retaining wall along side of Tommy's room. The iron steps were actually fire escape steps. It was also around this time that the shed, which used to sit on the hill, was torn down. Some people think there used to be a patio on the hill, but this was actually the foundation for the shed. The 1st seawall was built.
The 10' front addition in the main room was added and the garage was built in the parking lot. In 1964, the Ladies Auxiliary commissioned Joe Schmuhl to build a fireplace in the main room where previously a window existed. Twenty-eight (28) foot boats were legal in 1965.
The new iron seawall was a major project from 1966-1970. At this time, the present docks were designed by then Commodore Gene Webb and Dock master Dick Burkett.
The new cement sidewalk was laid by Jim McLaughlin and crew. The hydroplane races were held from the city marina, and as a result of this event, the trees on the island across from the club were cut to afford a better view of the races. This drew enormous protests from environmentalists in the area. The first Widow Member was accepted, Joan Nagel, and the club initiated the Duane Nagel Memorial Trophy. It is awarded at Regatta every year.
This year the docks were red, white, and blue with different members responsible for painting decorated boards spaced every so often in patterns to celebrate the Bi-Centennial year of the USA. This was under the direction of Jim Boyle, Dockmaster.
The bar was remodeled again in Jan. 1979 when Harry Prue was Chairman of the Planning Committee. Annual club dues changed fro, $25.00 to $52.00 per year. The new flagpole was also erected in 1979 to replace the former pole blown down in a storm. Sailfun classes started under the direction of Larry Gildsorf and were very well attended for quite a few years. TSC had a fleet of small sailboats, and an Interlake.
Was a time for many new theme parties; Nobody's Wedding, Taco Margy Party, Commodore Roast, and the "98 Dollar Beauty Contest" (a Friday night Regatta party). The iron steps were replaced with the present wooden ones while Dick Burkett was Chairman of the Planning Committee. The new work raft and aluminum sideloaders were purchased while Dale Woods was Dockmaster. It was voted to allow 30' boats to be permanently docked at the club. The deck was built in 1989. In a joint project coordinated by a committee from the Ladies Auxiliary and aided by financial assistance restroom were completely redecorated. New floor was laid in the main meeting room and new carpeting replaced in the bar room. All work was done by the committee members, their spouses, and numerous club members.
The updated fire system was put in at the request of the City of Toledo, which was a major task.
The 90-91 Commodore's Ball (Ken Zoltanski) was so well attended that we had to hold it in a hall other than the club. The children's play yard was renovated, with the money coming from special projects put on by the Ladies Auxiliary, with much sweat and blisters from many of the men in the club, and the new TSC design was worked into the hill. The new lease had been negotiated with the City of Toledo, with the addition of 140' more property, making room for 12 more floating docks.
Membership took a vote to replace the deck built in 1989. The new improved deck had permanent concrete pylons embedded into the ground. Gone was the lattice the previous deck had covering underneath, and rock was spread underneath and up the slope of the embankment. The new and larger deck opened for use in 2016.
The stone that is presently under the deck was originally part of the retaining walls located in Walbridge Park and built in the 1930's by the WPA.